The Householders Asbestos Disposal Scheme has been extended in 2016
The Household Asbestos Disposal Scheme will continue in 2016
as a Council-run initiative.
The Scheme allows for cheaper and easier disposal of asbestos from home demolition or renovation jobs.
Under the Council-run initiative all general conditions/advice will match the initial scheme run in conjunction with the NSW EPA.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
Homeowners in the Wagga local government area will need to
contact Council to check their eligibility for participation in the scheme.
Provided all conditions are met, homeowners will be eligible for the free disposal of asbestos from their house. If conditions are not met, then normal feed and charges will apply as per the 2015/16 Revenue & Pricing Policy.
The scheme applies to bonded asbestos only, including fibro sheeting and corrugated roofing.
For further information on how to partipate in the scheme, contact Council's Waste Services team on 1300 292 442.
Additional information on the safe handling and disposal of asbestos, visit the asbestos awareness website. Further links are also available below.
Asbestos Disposal at Gregadoo Waste Management Centre
Gregadoo Waste Management Centre (GWMC) is the only waste management facility within the Wagga Wagga local government area licensed by the Department of Environment, Conservation and Climate change (DECC) to accept asbestos containing waste.
Since 1 January 2008, a bonded asbestos licence has been required in NSW to remove more than 10m2 of bonded asbestos material. A licensed bonded asbestos removalist can remove any amount of bonded asbestos material. Licensing for asbestos removalists is regulated and administered by WorkCover NSW. The two types of asbestos licences are designated as AS1 and AS2 licences.
- AS1 licences the operator to carry out work with friable and bonded asbestos.
- AS2 licences the operator to carry out work with bonded asbestos only.
Council's procedures for the disposal of asbestos at GWMC are summarised as follows:
The weighbridge must be notified 24 hours prior to asbestos being delivered. The contact number is 1300 292 442;
- Asbestos is to be handled and transported in accordance with the Asbestos Code of Practice (WorkCover);
- Licensed asbestos disposal contractors must provide a copy of their asbestos licence on arrival to GWMC;
- Asbestos must be carefully unloaded onto the asbestos disposal area under the guidance of GWMC staff; and
- Asbestos will be charged at the rate specified in the current Management Plan, with a one tonne minimum charge applying
For general information, relevant publications and answers to frequently asked questions regarding safe removal practices for asbestos refer to the following websites:
If you are thinking about renovating, you must be aware of asbestos. It is important for home owners and renovators to be aware of how to safely manage asbestos in and around the home.