Recreation, Open Space and Community Strategy and Implementation Plan 2040
By developing the Recreation, Open Space and Community Strategy 2040 (ROSC) Wagga Wagga City Council is aiming to develop a connected, liveable city, providing strategic direction for the planning, development, management and use of community spaces over the next 20 years within the Wagga Wagga LGA.
It identifies the key community infrastructure that will be required to meet the anticipated growth within the city and responds to the community’s needs and desires as identified through community engagement activities. The ROSC has been developed using a place-based approach. It is recognised that there are significant differences between and within communities in terms of the demographic characteristics, their level of need and the configuration and accessibility of services.
The ROSC considers public spaces holistically across the LGA as well as in nine urban precincts and nine rural villages. Separate Action Plans have been developed for all Precincts and Villages in order to address the needs and desires of each community. Additionally, Major Project Implementation Plans have been developed to identify the required major projects and actions that impact on the broader city.
When combining the results of extensive community engagement and consultation activities and in consideration of best practice, five key themes emerged as strategic priorities for the city.
* Increase the activation of public spaces - Providing appropriate infrastructure, public spaces and community facilities will enable a wide variety of events and activities to be held
* Improve accessibility and connection - Accessibility and connection will be improved across the city and will become a key consideration in all future developments and redevelopments of public spaces
* Improve existing assets to maximise utilisation - Improvements in existing assets will enable better utilisation by the community. In many case these improvements will negate the need for the development of additional assets
* Improve community health - Community infrastructure and public spaces will be designed in order to improve community health outcomes
* Collaborate where possible - Partnerships will be sought to ensure the efficient provision of community infrastructure and public spaces.
To download this document, click the download arrow in the top left corner.