Paying your rates

Wagga Wagga City Council accepts payments for Rates Assessments in a number of ways. You can pay your rates online, in person, direct debit, via B-Pay, via Post Billpay or through Centrepay.

Pay online to avoid credit card fees

City of Wagga Wagga rates can be paid online using our secure Wagga Online Services system.

Make sure you have your credit card and your property number handy. You will not be required to pay a credit card surcharge for using these services.

If you are unsure about anything please read through our Frequently Asked Questions below and if you have any further questions, get in touch with one of our friendly customer service staff via our contact us page.

Other payment methods



Contact your participating financial institution to make this payment directly from your cheque or savings account (minimum payment $20, maximum payment $10000).

Biller code: 4069
Reference: As displayed on your rates notice

Post Billpay

Post BillpayGo to www.postbillpay.com.au, call 13 18 16 or pay over the counter at any Australia Post outlet .

Credit card payments not accepted over the counter at Australia Post outlets.  
Biller code: 0919
Reference: As displayed on your rates notice

Direct debit

Download and complete the Direct Debit form (PDF, 212.1 KB) and return to Council.


To arrange deductions from your Centrelink payment, contact Centrelink with your property reference number (located on your rates notice) and Council's Provider Number 555 054 224J. Find out more on the Centrelink website or call Council's finance officer on 6926 9270.

In person

Payments may be made in person at:

Wagga Wagga Civic Centre

Cnr Baylis & Morrow Streets
Wagga Wagga NSW 2650

Office Hours: 8.30am - 5pm Monday to Friday

(Note: No extra cash will be given on debit cards or cheques)

Please note: Council passes on a surcharge for credit card payments made at the customer service counter. Payments though our Online Credit Card service do not attract any surcharge.

The surcharge for over the counter credit card payments is 0.75% (75 cents per $100) for Visa & Mastercard and 1.0% ($1 per $100) for American Express.

Receiving rates notices via email

You can now have your Rates Accounts emailed to your nominated email address. The use of emailed bill delivery is quicker, cheaper and better for the environment.

To find out more about how to receive notices via email, visit the Rates eNotices page.

Rates FAQs

Why do i pay rates?

Income from rates is used to maintain and provide services and facilities for the total area within Council's boundaries.

Is Council's income totally derived from Rates?

Income generated by rates makes up approximately 25% of Council's total yearly income.

How are my Rates calculated?

Rates are calculated on the value of your land which is determined by the Valuer General and a rate in the $ levy is applied to this value. Added to this are the fixed annual charges for sewerage and waste services to all areas where these services are supplied.

Are all levies the same?

Rate levies vary according to the category of the land: Residential, Business, Rural Residential and Farmland. The property's category is based on the primary use of the property.

What is rate pegging?

The rate pegging percentage is set each year by the Minister for Local Government.

Rate pegging is the percentage limit by which Council may increase the total income it will receive from rates.

Can my Rates increase by more than the limit allowed by the State Government?


The Rates paid by some rate ratepayers may increase, decrease or stay the same in regard to the rate peg % limit set by IPART on behalf of the State Government each year. This will occur only as a result of a General Revaluation of all land values, which occurs every 3 years. (The determining factor is the land valuation on EACH individual property).

OR, if Council is successful in an application to IPART for a Special Rate Variation above the set Rate Peg % amount for that year, which can be effective for up to 7 years.

So why have my Rates increased and others decreased?

Land values generally increase over time. If the land values issued at the time of the General revaluation were used to generate Councils Rate income at the rate in the dollar used for the previous year's calculations, then Council would raise more income than it is allowed.

In order to contain Councils income within the allowable limits, Council must reduce the rate in the dollar for each rating category.As the same rate in the dollar is then applied to each property within a rating category, the actual amount of rates payable is determined by the individual land valuation of the property.

As a result, due to the individual changes in Land Valuations for individual Ratepayers, some Ratepayers will experience variations in their Rates that will either increase, or decrease their rates for the first year after a General Revaluation.

I don't agree with my land value. What can i do?

All enquiries relating to your land value should be directed to the Office of the Valuer General on 1800 110 038.

Or you can visit their website(external site) to learn more about the valuation of land.

Can i get a reduction in my Rates?

Concessions are available for eligible pensioners.

You must hold a current Pensioner Concession Card or Department of Veterans Affairs Card issued by the Commonwealth Government.

You must also be the owner/occupier of the property the rate rebate application is for.

How can i apply for a pensioner concession?

You will need to complete a pensioner concession application form.

You can obtain this form from Council.

What if i am having difficulty paying my Rates?

Arrangements can be made with Council to help make your payments more manageable.

Methods currently available are: Direct Debit, B-Pay and Centrelink Deductions and some employers offer payroll deductions (check with your employer).

Please phone Council to discuss your individual circumstances. Provisions are also made available under Section 601 of the Local Government Act 1993 in relation to hardship caused by a General Revaluation.

Application forms are available on request from Council.

How can i update my postal address?

Council requests all changes to postal details be made in writing. To update your postal address please complete and return the Change of Postal Address form.