Current Incidents

Current fires and incidents

Neighbourhood Safer Places

Find your local neighbourhood safer place here

Neighbourhood Safer Places are a place of last resort during a bush fire emergency only. Please note that travelling to or sheltering at a Neighbourhood Safer Place does not guarantee your safety.

They are to be used when all other options in your Bush Fire Survival Plan can't be put into action safely.

You should be aware of any Neighbourhood Safer Places in your area, and note them in your Bush Fire Survival Plan before a bush fire occurs. You should also know how to get there, as well as alternate routes in case the road is blocked or too dangerous to drive on.

Not all areas will have a Neighbourhood Safer Place. If there is no Neighbourhood Safer Place in your area, you should identify other safer locations you can go to as a last resort. This might include a nearby home which is well prepared, a shopping centre or an oval which is well away from the bush.

Road Closures

Local roads

State roads

Natural Disaster Declaration

A Natural Disaster Declaration enables affected individuals, families, small businesses, primary producers and not-for-profit organisations. Assistance is also available to local councils to assist with the clean-up effort and the rebuilding of damaged infrastructure. 

Disaster Assistance for Individuals

Schemes for those in areas declared Natural Disasters

Helpful links

A range of government and community agencies provide assistance and advice during bushfire response and recovery. The following links are provided to help residents plan for and recover from bushfire events.

NSW Department of Primary Industries

NSW Department of Primary Industries has a number of fact sheets and resources regarding rural lands and bush fires including:

  • Current situation
  • Current bushfire situation
  • Preparedness and risk management
  • Bushfire preparedness
  • Risk management for stock owners in times of fire and flood
  • Support, publications and advice
  • Rural Support Workers
  • Fire emergencies: helping your animals
  • Advice for pet owners during emergencies
  • Assessing bushfire burns in livestock
  • Humane destruction of stock
  • Caring for native animals after bushfires
  • Agistment guidelines
  • Horses and bushfires 
  • Pasture and weeds
  • Pasture recovery after bushfires
  • Weed strategies following drought, fire and flood
  • Financial assistance and tax
  • Rebate forms for transport of fodder and stock after bushfires
  • Community Disaster Relief Fund 
  • NSW Rural Assistance Authority
  • DPI's role in animal welfare during bushfire emergencies
  • Bushfire operating plan
  • The role of NSW Trade and Investment in animal welfare during bushfire emergencies

Local Land Services - Bushfires

NSW Health 

Bushfire Recovery Resources

Rainwater tanks and bushfires

Information for health professionals – advice for people returning to burnt buildings

Increase in Asthma and Breathing Problems Due to Air Pollution [23 Oct 2013]

Bushfire Air Pollution Health Update [21 Oct 2013]

Bushfire Air Pollution Health Update [18 Oct 2013]

NSW Health Alert - Bushfire Air Quality Health Warning [17 Oct 2013]

Beat The Heat

Bushfire Smoke Factsheet 

Advice for People Returning to Burnt Buildings

Family and Community Services

Family and Community Services offer the following services:

Housing NSW - Phone 1800 468 746

Community Services - Phone 132 111

Child safety and wellbeing; Ageing, Disability and Home Care - Phone 9407 1855

Case management and therapy sessions for people with an intellectual disability as well as home care services

Births, Deaths & Marriages - replacement of birth certificates, marriage certificates and change of name certificates

Australian Red Cross

Department of Human Services (Centrelink)

  • Employment related enquiries 132 850
  • Youth and Student Services 132 490
  • Family Payments 136 150
  • Disabilities, Sickness & Carers 132 717
  • Indigenous Call Centre 136 380
  • Retirement/Aged Services 132 300

Mental Health

For access to mental health services, contact the organisations listed below:

NSW Rural Mental Health Support Line - 1800 201 123 24/7 support and information for people in rural communities

Mensline Australia - 1300 789 978 Confidential 24/7 telephone counselling for men

Kids Helpline - 1800 551 800 24/7 telephone counselling

HealthDirect - 1800 022 222 for general health information

Rural Support Workers

Rural Support Workers provide support, as required, to farming families and rural communities needing any form of assistance.

Contact Di Pritchard 02 60517703, 0417 231 852 or email di.pritchard@dpi.nsw.gov.au

Transport subsidies

Industry & Investment NSW will rebate up to 50% of the transport costs for movement of:

  • stock from burnt areas to agistment
  • fodder to burnt areas
  • stock returning from agistment to burnt areas

These rebates apply to primary producers in areas affected by fire in NSW, subject to eligibility criteria. Maximum subsidy available is $15,000 per annum. Claims must be submitted not more than 6 months after the first movement.

Insurance Council

The Insurance Council can assist communities with any issues related to insurance and the claims process. Phone the Insurance Council on its assistance hotline 1800 734 621

Insurance Law Service Hotline

Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays 9:30 am to 4:30 pm - Phone 1300 663 464 or anytime via the web

Legal Aid NSW

Bushfires, know your rights - a guide to getting your insurance claim paid

Legal Aid provides free advice on a broad range of issues, including:

  • insurance claims - before you make a claim and if your claim is rejected; dealing with the insurance company and challenging their decisions
  • tenants - where do you stand if you cant live in the home you rent
  • mortages/loans - how do you cope if you cant afford payments, becuase of fires, floods, illness, loss of your job, etc.

Aboriginal Legal Service

General and confidential legal advice over the phone 1800 765 767

Injured animals

If you are concerned about injured domestic animals or livestock, consult your Vetinarian

If you are concerned about injured wildlife, phone WIRES on 1300 094 737