Biodiversity Strategy

Wagga Wagga City Council is developing a Biodiversity Strategy aiming to enhance the biodiversity within the Wagga Wagga Local Government Area (LGA). The strategy will act as a key strategic document that outlines how Council and the broader community can enhance biodiversity across the LGA by developing a range of objectives and actions that address a wide range of issues impacting biodiversity.

Biodiversity is important because it supports the healthy functioning of the environment that we depend upon for water, food, health and recreation. Species and ecosystems are interconnected, and all people are reliant of ecosystem goods and services delivered by the natural environment. Direct impacts on one species may have a flow-on effect on other species, highlighting the need for biodiversity conservation to focus on ecosystems, single species and the relationship between each.

Key threatening processes that place native plants and animals under pressure in the Wagga Wagga LGA include; fragmentation, pest animals, weeds, habitat loss or change and development. Over 90 per cent of the original vegetation in the Wagga Wagga LGA has been cleared and the remaining 10 per cent exists in pockets and is threatened Very few remnants in good condition remain, mostly being restricted to a small number of traveling stock reserves and routes, roadsides, cemeteries and private land.

Wagga Wagga City Council is seeking the community’s ideas and visions for the Biodiversity Strategy. We want to know how council and the community can enhance biodiversity within Wagga Wagga and why it is important to you. We will be hosting various community consultation sessions throughout October and November.

To help inform the draft Biodiversity Strategy, visit Council’s online community engagement platform waggaview.com.au/biodiversity and join the conversation before 13 December.

Biodiversity Strategy Timeframe

October – December 2019: PRELIMINARY CONSULTATION

Determine the scope and framework for the Biodiversity Strategy, including Preliminary targeted stakeholder consultation and public consultation with residents and community partners, to generate ideas and visions for the Biodiversity Strategy.

November - December 2019: DRAFT PREPARATION

Review community and stakeholder contributions. Synthesise feedback and prepare draft recommendations. Collate draft for Councillor workshop.

March - April 2020: PUBLIC EXHIBITION

Seek approval for the Draft Biodiversity Strategy to go out on Public Exhibition for feedback

May 2020: FINAL

Review of public submissions, and preparation of finalised Biodiversity Strategy for endorsement by Wagga Wagga City Council.