Organising your event

The process

  1. Read this information and make sure you understand everything you need to provide. If things are missing when you submit your application, delays could result and additional fees may be incurred.
  2. Consult with Council event staff: We strongly advise you to speak with Council's event staff prior to starting your application, they can assist in making your application process smoother, and offer handy tips and previous experience in the selected event space.
  3. Prepare your documentation: The below content outlines what you need to consider when preparing the event application. Make sure you provide as much information as possible when completing the forms to prevent any processing delays.
  4. Lodgement: The easiest way to apply for an event on one of our pre-approved sites is via our online booking form. Simple fill out the booking form, upload the appropriate supporting documents, pay the appropriate fee/s and your away. Note: By lodging your application you are not guaranteed to receive an event permit.

Things to consider

Event Location

Pre-approved event sites

Council offer six events spaces that are pre-approved for a variety of events.

  1. Lake Albert (including Apex Park)
  2. Bolton Park
  3. The Victory Memorial Gardens
  4. The Wollundry Lagoon
  5. The Playhouse Car Park (cnr Cross Street and Tarcutta Street)
  6. The Wagga Beach

Each site space comes with its own limitations, including the types of events that can be hosted and the capacity at each site. Please insure you understand these limitations, as applying for a permit at a site that isn't suitable for your event could call for a development application to be submitted.

Overview of existing facilities:
Event LocationToilets Available onsiteAccessible ToiletsPower Available
Lake Albert (Including Apex Park)YesYesYes
Bolton ParkYesYesNo
The Victory Memorial GardensYesYesYes
The Wollundry LagoonYesYesYes
The Playhouse Car Park YesYesYes
The Wagga Wagga BeachYesYesYes

Additional sites

In addition to the six pre-approved Council event sites Wagga Wagga has a variety of other venues on offer. For more information see our Conference and Events Guide.

Booking a Council venue

There are also a number of Council parks, and sportsgrounds available outside of the six pre-approved sites.

Booking a location in a park

Groups and individuals are welcome to book locations within Wagga's many beautiful parks and gardens for wedding ceremonies, events and birthday parties. To book a location in a park you need to apply to Council by completing the below application form.

Prior to booking, you need to ensure you know the venue, date and time.

To book a park or garden, visit the booking a location in a park page and read through the fees and conditions and then fill out the application form.

Booking a Council community centre or hall

There is a range of halls available to book through Wagga Wagga City Council. If you wish to book a Council centre or hall, visit the Booking a Council community centre or hall page.

Council is responsible for hiring the following:

  • Glenfield Community Centre
  • Lake Albert Community Centre
  • Senior Citizens Centre
  • Ashmont Ngurra Youth Hub

The halls accommodate a variety of community activities including tai chi, karate, art, drama classes, sewing groups and meetings. However they are NOT hired for parties. Hiring a Council Community Centre or Hall will incur a fee. These fees can be found on the Community centres and halls fees and charges page.

Please read through the hall hire conditions of use before booking.

Booking a sportsground

Sportsgrounds can be used for a number of reasons, training, regular season activities, casual activities and events.

There are a number of fields which you can choose from, which can be found on our Sportsgrounds page.

To book a particular sportsground, visit the Booking a sportsground page, where you will find all the information you need.



The below can be used as a guide on how many toilets you will require at your event.
Please indicate on your site plan the number of toilets you will provide based on the following scale:

Events without alcohol
Events SizeFemaleMaleMale UrinalsAccessible
0 -5006121
500 - 1009241
1000 - 2000 12481
2000 - 3000186152
3000 - 5000308253
For every 2000
people over

Events with alcohol

Event SizeFemaleMaleMale UrinalsAccessible
0 - 50013381
500 - 100016 5101
1000 - 200018 9 151
2000 - 30002210202
3000 - 50004012303
For every 2000
people over

Food + Alcohol


Events including food are becoming increasingly popular. It is important that as a Council we ensure that the food providers meet all required regulations and licencing. Food outlets are required to comply with Council's guidelines for handling food at temporary events.

Food Stalls must comply with NSW food Act 2003, NSW Food Regulation, Food Safety Standards and NSW Food Authority - Food Handling Guidelines for Temporary Events.

Food Stalls must also be registered and seek approval to operate via Councils Temporary/Special Events Food Stall form.
Applications must be received within no less than 14 days notice and once approved are valid for 12 months.


If you intend to serve alcohol at your event you will need to apply for a Liquor License, you can investigate what types of licenses are available, and apply for one via the Liquor and Gaming NSW website.

To request temporary removal of an alcohol free zone area or alcohol prohibited area you will need to make the request to Council, in writing at least three months prior to your event.

Anyone serving alcohol is required to have a current RSA. For more information please visit the Service NSW website.



Developing an event waste management plan helps to identify what kinds of waste, how much waste your event will generate and how you plan to collect and remove that waste.

The table below provides a recommended number of 240L bin stations for event. A bin station is made up of one recycling bin, one general waste bin and one foggo bin. These stations should be statically placed at a number of locations around the event site. It is advisable to place bin stations between 3 and 14 metres apart in the main event areas if possible, as beyond this distance more littering starts to occur. Never place a recycling bin or foggo bin on it own; always have it as part of a station with a general waste bin.

When your event has food and/or drink stall holders it is advised that you include a back-of-house (BOH) skip bin to your waste management plan. Three cubic metre skip bins are commonly hired for larger events for the use of stallholders/vendors in the back of house area. At smaller events, standard 240 litre wheelie bins will be sufficient for back-of-house recycling and waste.

Please indicate on your site plan the number and location of bins based on the following scale:



Event SizeGeneral Waste BinsRecycling BinsFoggo BinsBOH Skip BinsTotal Bins
0 - 50022206
500 - 2000444012
2000 - 5000888125
5000 - 10000151510242
For every 5000
people over



Event SizeGeneral Waste BinsRecycling BinsFoggo BinsBOH Skip BinsTotal Bins
0 - 50022206
500 - 2000444016
2000 - 5000101310235
5000 - 10000151810245
For ever 5000
people over


Power, Sound + Music Licensing (APRA)


Council has power available at most event sites. It is important when preparing your site plan that you are aware of Council's power connection location so that you can plan your event accordingly.

Power generators can be used to service your event and are great way to structure your event exactly how you need it.  
Any generators to be used must be included on your site plan. Please see below for a list of suppliers.

Coates Hire - 02 6932 5500 |
Jaegers Event Hire Wagga -  02 6971 8500 |  
Kennards Hire - 02 6938 4500 |
Riverina Party Hire - 02 6921 1997 |


Music and Sound are a feature of many events. We need to ensure the sound generated from your event won't disturb surrounding businesses and residents, so please include the following information in your application:

  • A description of the type of sound you will incorporate into your event i.e. live bands, performances and MC, DJs or even a combination.
  • A site plan clearly showing where the speakers will be located and the anticipated sound dispersion.
  • Details of an production specialist that may be part of your event.
  • Details of any generators that will be used and where they are to be located.

Music Licensing (APRA)

If music is being played and/or performed live, made available online or copied, it almost always requires a license. To find out if you require an APRA License at your event, visit the APRA website.

Additionally, if your event is screening a movie you may also require a copyright license.

Traffic management

If you think your event may require the partial or full closure of roads or have an effect on traffic within the city please contact Council's Traffic Officer on 1300 292 442.

Events that require control of traffic will be considered by Council's Traffic Committee. This process requires a minimum of 12 weeks to allow for the meeting schedule of the Committee.

Risk Assessment

Risk Assessment

You are required to supply a Risk Management Plan that identifies all of the potential risks that may arise from your events and the steps identified to mitigate such risks. External risk are also required to be identified and noted.

Download a template of a Risk Assessment (PDF, 72.2 KB).

Fireworks + Amusements


If you're looking at hosting fireworks at your next event please ensure you have researched and understood the SafeWork NSW explosives and fireworks regulations. Events using fireworks will require a fireworks license issued by SafeWork NSW and will need to comply with all the conditions set out in the license.

Sinister Fireworks - 0428 311 118 |

Permission for fireworks is required from Council and the landowner.


If you're planning some exciting activities for all to enjoy at your event be sure to make contact with one of the following entertainer suppliers.

Jumping Beans - 1300 570 591 |
Snowy River Amusements - 0408 123 627 |
Tony Joe's Amusements -  02 6925 9296 |

Please note if your event is on Council owned land you are required to clearly mark the location of your amusements on a site map and present to Council prior to bump in of your event.