Each year the Australia Day Awards are held as part of the Wagga Wagga City Council Australia Day Ceremony. Awards categories include Citizen of the Year, Young Citizen of the Year, Ted Ryder Sports Memorial, the Walk of Honour and the new addition of the Environment Citizen of the Year.
People of the City of Wagga Wagga Local Government Area are invited to nominate fellow citizens for the Australia Day Awards. The aim of the awards are to recognise outstanding contributions to the local community in 2019 and/or contribution to the local community over a number of years.
The 2020 Australia Day Awards have are now open. If you wish to nominate an individual or organisation for one of the 2020 Australia Day awards, please complete the nomination form by 5pm Friday 22 November 2019.
Australia Day Award Nomination Information Session
Tuesday 12 November 2019
12pm – 1pm + 5.30pm – 6.30pm
Councillors Committee Meeting room, Civic Centre
How to Nominate
- Nominations must be received by 5pm, Friday 22 November 2019.
- Nominations must be accompanied by supporting information providing a clear understanding of the nominee’s achievements and reason for nomination.
- Citizen of the Year and Young Citizen of the Year must include a biography of the nominee.
- Nominees must be Australian Citizens and reside in the Wagga Wagga Local Government Area.
- Only individuals may be nominated, not groups or organisations.
- Individuals cannot nominate themselves.
- Members of the Australia Day Community Committee are unable to nominate for any award.
- Walk of Honour nominees must have resided in the Wagga Wagga Local Government area for at least 5 years.*
- Only the Walk of Honour Award can be granted posthumously.
- Sporting Associations may nominate one member only for the Ted Ryder Sports Memorial Award.
- Selection for the Awards will be made on the basis of service to the local community in any field considered appropriate by the Selection Committee and may also take into account acts of compassion, generosity, bravery, etc. Nominees contributions must be above and beyond their general field of work.
- Contribution by an individual to the Wagga Wagga Local Government Area is to be voluntary and unpaid and may be of general or specific nature. Nominees must not have received a taxable income for their contributions.
- Unsuccessful nominees may be re-nominated in subsequent years by filling out a new nomination form, previous year’s nomination forms will not be accepted.
- All nominees who meet the criteria of the award will be invited to the Australia Day Awards Ceremony to be held on Friday 24 January 2020 where the successful Award Recipient will be announced.
- Award recipients will be selected at the discretion of the Selection Committee. If nominations for a particular category are unsuitable, the Committee reserves the right not to select an Award recipient or consider the nomination under another category.
- The Selection Committee reserves the right to obtain more information about each person from whatever source appropriate.
- The decision of the Selection Committee shall be final and no correspondence will be entered into on the subject of decisions made.
Please contact Council on 1300 292 442 or via email email@example.com.
Nominations can be completed online at wagga.nsw.gov.au/AustraliaDay or via hard copy. Hard copy nominations can be submitting in one of the following ways:
- via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- via post, marked CONFIDENTIAL, Australia Day Awards, PO Box 20, Wagga Wagga NSW 2650