There may be an occasion when you may not get the level of service you expected from Council. We ask that you let us know so that we can seek to improve our service.

This form allows you to make a complaint in regards to dissatisfaction about Council’s quality and timeliness of service, decisions, policies, procedures and conduct of employees/Councillors.

If you are seeking information about a Council service or facility, wanting to report a problem or to request Council for assistance please submit a service request.

Examples of a service request include:

- request general information about a Council service or facility
- request to see Council documents or an explanation of a Council policy, procedure or a decision of Council
- report damaged or faulty infrastructure and hazards (eg damaged footpaths, pothole, fallen tree branch)
- make a report about neighbouring properties such as noise, dogs or unauthorised building works

You can submit a Service Request here.

If you would like to know more about Council’s complaints handling process, refer to our Complaints Handling Policy.

If you need assistance, please contact 1300 292 442.

Please note: If you cannot be reached on your preferred method of communication we will attempt to contact you via the alternative method provided. Should you not wish to be contacted via either method, please advise in your comments.