Rates FAQs

Everything you need to know about your rates and how to pay them.

Rates are an important part of how we look after each other. Everyone who owns land in our local government area pays rates. Wagga Wagga City Council then uses those rates to fund essential services for our community including:

  • roads, footpath, drainage and rail
  • parks, open space and recreation
  • sewer services
  • waste management
  • town planning, building and economic affairs
  • tourism, events, cultural and community services
  • public order, health and safety
  • governance and administration
  • environment.

Income generated by rates makes up approximately 25% of Council's total yearly income.

Rates are calculated on land values supplied by the Valuer General of NSW. These land values are used to calculate the annual rates for each property. New valuations are issued by the Valuer General of NSW every three years which Council uses for the following financial year.

There are four land rating categories: residential, business, farmland and mining. Different charges apply to each category. Your property’s category is based on the primary use of the property.

Have you changed the primary use of your property, or disagree with your categorisation? Contact Council on 1300 292 442 within 30 days after receiving your rate notice to discuss a category change.

Rates are calculated from 1 July to 30 June each year and broken down into four instalments:

  • 1st instalment - 31 August
  • 2nd instalment - 30 November
  • 3rd instalment - 28 February
  • 4th instalment - 31 May

You’ll receive your rate notice approximately four weeks before the due date. Interest is charged on any overdue amount. Rate exemptions may be granted i.e. schools, hospitals and churches.

Rate pegging is the percentage limit by which Council may increase the total income it will receive from rates.

The rate pegging percentage is set each year by the Minister for Local Government.


The Rates paid by some rate ratepayers may increase, decrease or stay the same in regard to the rate peg % limit set by IPART on behalf of the State Government each year. This will occur only as a result of a General Revaluation of all land values, which occurs every 3 years. (The determining factor is the land valuation on EACH individual property).

OR, if Council is successful in an application to IPART for a Special Rate Variation above the set Rate Peg % amount for that year, which can be effective for up to 7 years.

Everyone who owns rateable residential land within a waste collection service area contributes towards waste management.

These funds help pay for our community’s waste management service, as well as waste minimisation initiatives, Clean Up Australia Day and school education days.

This is a levy we charge to help cover the cost of managing stormwater that flows off privately owned, developed urban land. The levy helps us provide, manage and improve our community’s stormwater system. If you own vacant land you won’t be charged the stormwater management levy.

At times, property holders may face financial difficulties in making their rates instalments by the quarterly due dates.  Please make contact with Council’s Finance team on 1300 292 442 to discuss your rates account.  Staff will discuss suitable payment plan options, which take into consideration your personal circumstances.

If you are experiencing significant financial hardship (loss of job, terminal illness, natural disaster etc), property holders may wish to complete a Financial Hardship Application form, which includes an assessment of the owners financial position, current income, and expenses.  Please make contact with Council’s Finance team on 1300 292 442.

Financial Hardship Application Form

If you have a current Pensioner Concession Card, you may be able to claim a rebate.

Call us on 1300 292 442 or visit us at the Civic Centre with your card for more information.

Postal address: Let us know your new address by emailing council@wagga.nsw.gov.au, completing our Change of Postal Address form (link to form), or by writing to Wagga Wagga City Council, 243 Baylis Street (PO Box 20), Wagga Wagga NSW 2650.

Name change: Send us a certified copy of your marriage certificate, change of name certificate or divorce order. You can use your driver’s licence in support of one of the above documents, but not in its place.

Add or delete a name: Change your title deeds with NSW Land Registry Services. They’ll let us know your new details.