Food Business Registration

The Food Act requires that all permanent, mobile and temporary food businesses be registered with the relevant authorities prior to commencing trade.

All food businesses operating in Wagga Wagga City Council's local government area will need to ensure they register their business through Council's registration process which may also require a valid New South Wales Food Authority Food Safety Supervisor Certificate where applicable.

If your business is currently registered with Wagga Wagga City Council, there are no further registration or administrative requirements to provide takeaway or home delivery services from your business.

You will, however, need to ensure that you continue to comply with all requirements of sections 3.2.2 and 3.2.3 of Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code. This includes requirements in relation to packaging used for takeaway, good personal hygiene practices and temperature control during takeaway. Further information in relation to food safety requirements is available from the Guide to the Food Standards Code.

For further information please visit the following websites:

Food Standards Australia New Zealand - Novel Corona Virus and Food Safety

NSW Food Authority

NSW Health

Have you become a food business owner?

Business registration

If you have purchased an existing food business within Wagga Local Government area, please notify Council of the recent changes. Other items you may wish to consider include;

  • Liaise with the previous owners to discuss any previous requests from Council, including construction issues.
  • Ensuring you meet the Food Safety Supervisor (FSS) requirements.
  • Updating the business's FSS details, online.
  • Register your food business with Council

Registration with Council:

The Food Act requires that all permanent, mobile and temporary food businesses be registered with the relevant authorities prior to commencing trade.  All food businesses must also notify Council if any of the following details change; proprietor's name, business address, trading name of the food business, contact details or ABN details.

To register your food business with Wagga Wagga City Council, please complete the below form either online, or download and return to Council prior to commencing any food handling operations:

Closure of food business

Should you wish to cease trading you are required to complete and submit a Business Closure Notification form to Council.

Do you need a Food Safety Supervisor (FSS)?

Most food businesses are required to have at least one staff member trained and appointed as a Food Safety Supervisor (FSS). The training requirements must be undertaken via an approved Registered Training Organisation (RTO).

It is a requirement that the Food Safety Supervisor Certificate be easily accessible on the food business premises and able to be produced to an Authorised Officer upon request.

For more information please refer to the NSW Food Safety Factsheets.